Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Chandelier Earrings Tutorial - Wire Wrapped Sterling Silver

Over the weekend, I have tried a couple of wire wraps. I created this new chandelier earring wire wraps with sterling silver wires (available here on etsy). The original chandelier earrings I have learnt were pretty, but not dainty enough for a petite person like me. So after a couple of tries, I came up with this new design.


This pair of chandelier earrings are created with sterling silver wire and Canelian stones (available here). Usually, carnelian stones are bright orange and brown, they are also called Sard in some places. I purchased these from Firemountain Gem website, which I will do a partial review in my later blog. These are about 12mm x 6mm, they are faceted. Of course, firemountain gem has much more variety if you just search the keywords "carnelian."

Here's the essential breakdown of the wire wrap. Unfortunately I did not take any "in progress" pictures. I thought these drawing diagram may be more useful in some cases.

Materials:
2 6in 20 Gauge Sterling silver wire
2 2in 20 Gauge sterling silver wire (or two ear wire)
6 about 9in 26 gauge sterling silver wire
6 top drilled beads (range 10mm x 6mm - 14mm x 7mm)
4 rondelle facted stone (range 2mm-3mm)

Tools:
Round nose plier
Flat nose/chain nose plier
Nylon jaw plier
Mandrill (for 7mm diameter big loops)

***Straighten your wires with the nylon jaw plier- always always always, straighten your wires for the best result.***

1. make a "p shape" loop from the 6 inch 20 gauge wire with round nose pliers -


Some of my prototype designs I used a centered circle instead of "p shape" loop. But after the finishing of wrapping, I find that the centered loops look very ridged and strict. I really wanted this whole loop design to have a little "flowing" element, so I decided to not center my loop and just go with a "p shape"


2. Use the mandrill to make a big loop on the left (7mm in diameter)
It may be a little hard to start the loop because there is not much to hold on to at the beginning. Do it slowly and get a semi-perfect circle of 7mm, or whatever diameter you are using. I usually make these two loops (step 2 & step 3) a little bigger to make it look like wings.

3. Use the mandrill to make another big loop on the right -

Try to make this loop identical to the one on the left. This time it may be harder to hold to the mandrill, but try holding it in your left hand (if you are right handed), and pivot your right hand a bit at a time, adjust positions frequently to have a firm hold on the bending wire at all times.

4. Pivot the wire to the left (see picture below)

This step is to prepare the wire to make the three chandelier hoops in the below steps. This way, the chandelier hoops will be centered and not pivoted to the right. you can use your hand or flat nose/chain nose to pivot the wire. Try not to use round nose as they will leave a mark on your wire.

5. Make a 2mm loop with your round nose pliers -
The tricky part about this step is that the wire may move when you wrap it around your round nose. Be sure to hold tight on your round nose, and wrap slowly and as closely to the round nose as you can. 2mm is approximately the middle part of my round nose, so I did not actually mark my round nose to make sure. If you are a perfectionist, you can draw a line on your round nose pliers with a permanent marker, and make these three chandelier loops EXACT same diameter. But honestly, as long as it is not vastly different, your eyes can't tell the difference.

6. Make the second loop of the chandelier with your round nose pliers -
Again, hold the wire tightly in your hands, do not let it slip. At this point, it may be a little harder because you don't have much wire left to leverage. If you needed it, use your chain nose to help bend the wire. Note: this is why it is essential to straighten your wire at the beginning of the session, because it will help warm up your wire and get rid of all the kinks so your circles will come out nice and smooth.

7. Make the last loop of the chandelier -
Make sure to bend the wire upward in the end, and trim to leave about 1/2 inch to prepare for the last "p shape" loop to end the design (see below).

8. Make a ending "p shape" loop with round nose pliers-

This step was not in my original designs, I tried them out in the prototype, and thought this is better than ending abruptly after the 3rd chandelier loop. This step is totally optional, you can also just cut the wire as it ends at the 3rd loop. However, I find if I did that, my chandelier loops were less supported as they will all be hanging by the left wire that we pivoted in step 4. So in my final format, I used this "p shape" to end the design nicely.

9. Attach 3 top drilled tear shape beads with 26 gauge wire wraps

10. Wire wrap 2 rondelle beads into one of the loops for a asymmetrical look - I put the rondelle beads in the right loop to kind of balance out the "p shaped" ending loop (step 8) Just personal preference. You can also fill both loops up with rondelle beads.

11. Make two ear wires with the 2 inch 20 gauge sterling silver wire -

12. Attach the chandelier to the ear wires

Tah dah~ 
Here's the finishing product! So guys, please post your comments, try out different colors and sizes. And have fun! Check out some variations I did also.


 Wire wrapped mint chalcedony earrings above (available here), with a variation of wire wraps. Gold earrings below with glass beads and base metal wire (available here), a little less expensive alternative, but also light on the ears.


4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tutorial is so easy to follow...great post and lovely items. I love the coral earrings a most! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete